Rocky Bay Trails
At Rocky Bay Resorts Trails, we offer all our guest an opportunity to enjoy the awesome south coast sea views and fresh air and to go out and have a self- supported adventure; be it for mountain bikers, trail runners or simply those who just enjoy walking on our trails. The emphasis is on adventure, however it must be noted that once you go out onto our trails it is at your own risk.
Sani2C and Joburg2C use our trails to reach the town of Scottburgh.
We do not have a collection or rescue service for any emergency, however we will certainly assist in any way possible- but we offer no guarantees whatsoever. There are many risks inherent to these outdoor activities, and by entering the trails, you acknowledge that the risk is your own.
Trail Day Visiting:
- Arrive after sun up
- Proceed to Rocky Bay Resorts – security gate
- Sign up after reading the conditions and the indemnity (See below and on your day permit.)
Rocky Bay Resorts Mountain Bike Trails were opened in September 2011 and the running trails were opened in June 2014. Rocky Bay Resorts - Trails consists of an easy 12km as well as a 19km, 9km and then the more challenging 40km MTB trails.As well as 4, 6,8 and 10km Running Trails. All Trails are marked and signed and we are continually improving and adding to our Trails!
There are trails for both novice and experienced mountain bikers alike. Riders are amazed at the variety of track and spectacular scenery that is available. There is plenty of track for the newer riders and it will finally give many people who want to get into mountain biking the chance to get out without getting lost and risking trespassing. The Trails are a system of marked mountain biking trails (marked in orange ) and running Trails (marked in green) on Ellingham Estate Farm. Only riders with an entry permit are allowed accesses to the farmlands, those without permits are trespassing and risk prosecution.
This arrangement was carefully negotiated with the private landowners because of uncontrolled MTB riding in the area. The on site restaurant welcomes all riders and runners to enjoy a meal and refreshments. A Jungle Gym and Kids Corner are available at the main lodge as well as ablutions and a dip in the brilliant refreshing fresh water swimming pool is a winner.
What we do:
- Mark and manage trails of varying length and difficulty so that cyclists and runners of all abilities can partake in the sport of mountain biking and running without fear of getting lost and trespassing.
- Protect the landowners by only allocating permits to riders and runners who have signed the Indemnities.
- Spend 20 % of our trail team’s time controlling noxious weeds
- To grow the sport of mountain biking by making it possible for new riders to enter the sport easily.
What we don't do:
- Provide a collection service for riders who are broken down or injured. (We do not have the man power or facilities).
- MTB is a fairly dangerous adventure sport. The further out from the trail head you go, the bigger the risk you take of getting lost, or injured without help at hand. This is your choice to take these risks. We will endeavour to assist in any way we can in an emergency but cannot promise anything at all. Please see the detailed indemnity.
- We don't manicure our trails! Our single track is well maintained to provide a magnificent riding experience. However with weather and farm traffic, the trails are always in a state of change. Riders must realise that the trail can change from one week to the next and must ride accordingly. With 111km of trails, potholes, ruts and other changes to the trails must be anticipated.
- NO DOGS allowed on the trails.
R30 per entry cash honesty box at Security Gate – (please bring exact cash no change is available.)
Our Trail Routes